Tools to Capture and Convert the Web
GrabzIt's Online Community

Bottom right td of tables has an 'after' on the text giving a space before the bottom border

Ask questions on how to capture or convert web pages or HTML into images, CSV, PDF or DOCX documents as well on how to convert videos into animated GIF's using our API.

We are continuing to get a DocX 'after' on the last paragraph of the bottom equal to the linesize. This is giving us a space between the text and the bottom row bottom border.  Do you know what items in the html/css might get converted to an after on the text?  

Asked by anonymous on the 2nd of November 2022

Try setting the bottom marging and padding on the paragraph to 0.

Answered by GrabzIt Support on the 2nd of November 2022

we have padding = 0cm on the TD and have even tried removing the <p> but still seeing the issue  code example attached below.

<p>
<span style="color:#C00000;"><i>[The minimum content requirement could be set higher if agreement is reached with the design team prior to tendering for the main contractor.]</i></span>
</p>
<figure class="table" style="width:100.0%;">
<table>
<colgroup><col style="width:50%;"><col style="width:50%;"></colgroup>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="border-bottom:1.0pt solid windowtext;border-left-style:none;border-right-style:none;border-top:1.0pt solid windowtext;padding:0cm 1.4pt;vertical-align:top;width:47.3%;">
<strong>New build</strong>
</td>
<td style="border-bottom:1.0pt solid windowtext;border-left-style:none;border-right-style:none;border-top:1.0pt solid windowtext;padding:0cm 1.4pt;vertical-align:top;width:52.7%;">
<strong>Renovation</strong>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="border-bottom:1.0pt solid windowtext;padding:0cm;vertical-align:top;">
- Foundations and substructures&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- The structural frame, including beams, columns and slabs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- External walls, cladding and insulation&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- Floors and ceilings&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- Internal walls&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- Windows&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- Roofs
</td>
<td style="border-bottom:1.0pt solid windowtext;padding:0cm;vertical-align:top;">
- External walls, cladding and insulation&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- Re-roofing and insulation&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>
Where additional floors or building extensions are foreseen that account for &gt; 25% of the existing useable floor area, the list of new-build elements shall also apply.
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p>
<span style="color:#C00000;"><i>The contracting authority may choose to allocate more points to re-used content according to the local conditions. This could include favouring designs that re-use the primary load bearing structure of an existing building.</i></span>
</p>

Answered by anonymous on the 2nd of November 2022

I just tested this. Wrap the text in a p and then set the margin and padding to 0 and it works. 

I'm not able to replicate the fix you describe.  I have made the below update and pasted into the box on the grabzit home page but not seeing a fix.

<p>
<span style="color:#C00000;"><i>[The minimum content requirement could be set higher if agreement is reached with the design team prior to tendering for the main contractor.]</i></span>
</p>
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="border-bottom:1.0pt solid windowtext;border-left-style:none;border-right-style:none;border-top:1.0pt solid windowtext;padding:0cm 1.4pt;vertical-align:top;width:47.3%;">
</td>
<td style="border-bottom:1.0pt solid windowtext;border-left-style:none;border-right-style:none;border-top:1.0pt solid windowtext;padding:0cm 1.4pt;vertical-align:top;width:52.7%;">
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<p style="margin:0px;padding:0px;">
<br>
- The structural frame, including beams, columns and slabs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
- External walls, cladding and insulation&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
- Roofs
</p>
</td>
<br>
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>
Where additional floors or building extensions are foreseen that account for &gt; 25% of the existing useable floor area, the list of new-build elements shall also apply.
</p>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p>
<span style="color:#C00000;"><i>The contracting authority may choose to allocate more points to re-used content according to the local conditions. This could include favouring designs that re-use the primary load bearing structure of an existing building.</i></span>
</p>

You haven't wrapped this:

in a p tag with no padding and margin.

Hmm I tried this but still not seeing the results you are getting.

<p>
</p>
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
</td>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
- Roofs
</td>

<br>
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>
</p>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p>
</p>

We have identified the problem with your particular HTML. And released a fix please try again in one hour.

The update you have applied looks to have effectuvely fixed the issue we have been discussing. thanks for your support on this.  I'm getting the desired results for

<p>
</p>
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
</td>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
- Roofs
</td>

<br>
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p>
</p>

However when we take this code fragment and wrap inside a table again as required in our code so that we can draw a border around this code fragment we are getting the "after" back again on the last cell of the table. 

<table style="padding:0cm;margin:0cm;">
<tr style="padding:0cm;margin:0cm;">
<td style="padding:0cm;margin:0cm;">
<p>
</p>
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
</td>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
- Roofs
</td>

<br>
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p>
</p>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Answered by anonymous on the 3rd of November 2022

Did you get a chance to look at this issue?

When we take the code fragment from before and wrap it inside a table again (as required in our code so that we can draw a border around this code fragment in docx) we are getting the "after" back again on the last cell of the table. 

<p>
</p>
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
</td>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
- Roofs
</td>

<br>
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p>
</p>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Yes, because you are not wrapping the last bit of text in <p style="margin:0px;padding:0px;">.

Answered by GrabzIt Support on the 3rd of November 2022

So to clarify your above suggestion, even though for the single table the html to docx update seems to now readily handle (ie not add an after) folloing yesterdays code update when the text of the last bit of text of the last TD is not wrapped in a <p> if I wrap the whole thing in a second table then we should wrap this last piece of text in teh last TD of the inner table in a <p margin zero padding zero>?  

I've tried (by pasting below into homepage window) what I believe was your suggested approach and it looks to be the same issue.

<p>
</p>
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
</td>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
- Roofs
</td>

<br>
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>

<p style="padding:0cm;margin:0cm;"> Where additional floors or building extensions are foreseen that account for &gt; 25% of the existing useable floor area, the list of new-build elements shall also apply.
<p>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p>
</p>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Also tried this in case this is what you meant

<p>
</p>
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
</td>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
- Roofs
</td>

<br>
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>

<p style="padding:0cm;margin:0cm;"> Where additional floors or building extensions are foreseen that account for &gt; 25% of the existing useable floor area, the list of new-build elements shall also apply.
<p>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p style="padding:0cm;margin:0cm;">
</p>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Your HTML is broken you have two open P tags.

<p>

Fixed the error you spotted on the <p> but still seeing the after.  

<p>
</p>
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
</td>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
- Roofs
</td>

<br>
<br>
- Windows
<br><br>

</p>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</figure>
<p style="padding:0cm;margin:0cm;">
</p>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

The issue is fixed now.

Thanks for your support on this we are now getting expected results.

Awesome, no problem.